by Vince Borromeo
Choy Li Fut Kung Fu is:
1. A Shaolin Kung Fu Art: It is not true that all kung fu came from the Shaolin Temple as many in the outskirts of kung fu think all kung fu is from Shaolin. It is not so there are many family styles, etc. But ChoyLiFut is a Shaolin Descent Art of both North and South Temples. To me that is so rich because these monks had focus unlike others who had to raise a family and do work these monks just devoted their entire being to learning about themselves through Kung Fu. These they did seriously its documented it was developed for centuries. This to me is something clf has but this will be a very long topic and could even be a debate funny some monks I met cannot still conceive of a fighting monk. He he this is just my own beliefs from my study.
2. I consider ChoyLiFut a healing art. If taught in its entirety and from what I have seen my teachers do it is a healing art. From Master Ty who had people lined up to have their ailments healed in his kwoon. I saw him making a lot of medicines I even experienced it for a back injury I had in western weight lifting gym which Master Ty had to heal. After he taught us many lethal stuff his famous words were ” now that you know how to destroy man in many many ways, you should look into how to build up man in many ways more of your efforts should be there.” To Doc Fai Wong who in our very first meeting asked all of us who had ailments and he did acupuncture on all of us we all had healing from the hands of the Master.
3. A very comprehensive study of Human Nature,Character, emotions and body. I realized that in this system it is a body of knowledge of the human person, how it is molded, how bones are strengthened, how the mind is strengthened, how breathing is enhanced. how focus is developed, what are the natural reactions given this stimulus, how many pounds of force can destroy this ligament, this bone, etc. etc. Once you know this you will appreciate the way this body was made and compassion to its weakness also seen. Sifu always said ex. ” it only takes 7 pounds of force to destroy this bone, then he says remember you have the same bone too, you are as vulnerable, you must know you are as human as this lesson we study.” When you know ” Tao Lamang” human only “your compassion will grow, you will have patience to all sentient beings for indeed we can be so vulnerable” that brings you to the next realization that you need to strengthen your body and keep it healthy for indeed for it to be alive with all the germs, negative forces this world has it is a miracle to be alive. Most importantly it should make you understand yourself better.
4. Is a Journey to Find Yourself by way of lessons even in animals. I say this because this kind of kung fu has many animal styles of which many lessons in life are taught through them.
5. ChoyLiFut is a Martial Art: As a martial art, it is very comprehensive it has all in it (locks, strikes, weapons, to me everything you will need for the psychology and philosophy of fighting that you can use even if weapons change and develop over time. Even with the advent with nuclear bombs you will have answers very deep ones though. I can advice look into survivors of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombs only 8 people were unscathed and …. well you see if you go deep into faith the only way you become fearless is to have answers even to the afterlife. This is also part of kung fu specially on clf where meditation is really a part of it since it is the focus of Buddhism which is the main practice of Shaolin. First and foremost was a Buddhist temple